search instagram arrow-down
ReginaMary Messa

While you were away, I wrote this…

Blogs I Follow

Instagram

Follow Cosmicknitter on WordPress.com

Goodreads

A Blast From the Past

Swimming in a Sea of Laundry

Laundry has always been a way for me to show my family how much I love them.  The boys would get a whiff of fabric softener when they pulled a t-shirt on and they would be reminded of me.  Honestly, is there anything better than a whiff of soap on your favorite shirt, or clean sheets on a freshly made bed?  One of my favorite memories as a child was the smell of the sheets, hung on the clothesline to dry in the sun.  At night, I would fall asleep wrapped in those sheets and the summer quilt that my grandmother made; it always smelled of the cedar from the blanket chest that it was stored in.  I always have mounds of laundry in all three stages of development.  I try to stay on top of it, but there are times when I need help.  You can learn more about my favorite laundry service here.

Look what I did!

I really need to take a photo of me wearing this, but until then you’ll have to deal with my understudy.

I learned a lot from this project.  I loved knitting with beads and I definitely recommend you add it to your repertoire.  I plan on using beads in future projects and thanks to the Laura Nelkin group on Ravelry, I have been given many sources for purchasing beads.  This yarn was a single ply; it tended to get fuzzy or cranky when it was handled too much and beads require a lot of action on the yarn.  I would definitely choose a smoother yarn with a tighter twist for my next project.  Many thanks to Razz for modeling this for me.  (he was NOT happy).

Winner! Winner!  Chicken …Wait!  Apparently, I lost this game of yarn chicken.  Here are my lovely “Twas the Night Before Christmas” socks from Little Bobbins.  I thought I had enough yarn to finish, but apparently there will be no chicken dinner for me.  I have ordered another ball of Knit Picks Palette so I can finish these cute socks.

20180308_202005.jpg

In other news, I was taken with all the great and versatile projects based on the log cabin pattern by Mason Dixon Knitting.  This is my first attempt.  I have decided to make it into a dishcloth because I worked out a lot of little nuances with this square (trust me when I tell you it is square!)  The yarn is Katia Bombay, 100% cotton.  It is very pretty and I would like to work with it again.  I held two strands together and it made a sturdy but soft fabric.  I played around with where I picked up new stitches to find out what was most pleasing.  Have you ever worked on a project and realized you did something incorrectly but it still worked out?  I think if it is consistent through the project it doesn’t really matter.  In this case, I would want to pick up stitches along the bind off edge consistently through either the front or the back of the stitch.  The pattern does not indicate which way to do this, so I think I’ll contact the designer to ask.  Again, I think what matters is that it is consistent.

So, this post has been sitting in my draft folder for over a week.  I am going to wrap it up before I forget what the heck  I am talking about.

Sipping:  coffee

Watching:  X-Files (still)

Current location of Razz:  under the dining room table

Be well,

Love,

Regina

13 comments on “Swimming in a Sea of Laundry

1. Your cowl is lovely but I think your model looks less than pleased:)
    When I first learned to knit I always wrapped the yarn the wrong way when I purled. It looked wrong but still worked.

Liked by 3 people

1. ReginaMary says:

That is an understatement! As photogenic as he is, he tends to scowl whenever I put anything on him that doesn’t resemble a leash.

Liked by 1 person

2. Such pretty socks and cowl ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. ReginaMary says:

Thank you. I am still waiting for the yarn to arrive so I can finish the socks. I would like to wear them before the warm weather hits.

Liked by 1 person

3. Those log cabin squares look really effective. Your socks are such a good colour. Unusual but really nice. Knitting with beads is quite an achievement. Love all your projects and no, nothing beats the smell of fresh laundry!!

Liked by 1 person

1. ReginaMary says:

About the sock yarn…it is the Caribbean colorway from Knit Picks. I was making socks for a young girl at the school who was going through a difficult time and needed a little TLC. We would eat lunch together and I taught her how to knit. As we poured over the KP catalog, she declared that yarn as her favorite, not knowing it would become a pair of socks for her. I would never have picked it on my own, but every time I see something In that color I think of Juliette and it makes me so happy.

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s lovely to do things like that because it is meaningful and no, you never forget. I am sure Juliette thinks of you too.

Liked by 1 person

4. I lost yarn chicken recently, and told Baby Girl that her new socks were sisters not twins. She was quite pleased, and who wouldn’t want bright blue sock toes? With stripey yarn and lots of texture it was a less obvious goof. Your socks look lovely, and I’m sure they’ll keep your feet warm and dry when the new yarn arrives.

Liked by 1 person

1. ReginaMary says:

That’s a great response! I am well overdue for my first contrasting toe socks!

5. Oh how annoying, you were so close to finishing the sock!
    Love the beautiful cowl, and your scowling understudy hehe

Liked by 1 person

6. tinaor says:

Laundry is a bit of a bugbear with me – necessary of course – but I swear someone adds stuff to the ever growing pile – I actually asked my husband yesterday if he brought someone else’s home from work this week as it’s a mountain high! However, you can’t beat the smell of fresh dry laundry as it’s gathered in from an outdoor washing line. Nice knits, shame about being so near/so far with those socks!

Liked by 1 person

1. ReginaMary says:

I was on the DL for two days and my laundry has taken over! The good thing about being bedridden, however, is that I was able to finish the socks. I’ll post photos soon. I wish the color was truer. Enjoy the weekend, Tina!

Liked by 1 person

7. AJ says:

I love the smell of laundry!!!! Your understudy is adorable! Good job on all the knitting! Lol you’re better than me- I’d pull out the socks and make something else if I didn’t have enough yarn🤣